Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Time to Party  

I am playing in Oakland tomorrow night For Tha Funk Of It, come out if you are in the area. Maybe we can do a sideshow in my Jetta afterward.

Here are a couple of mid-week dance floor bangers for you. The first track by Gary L. was featureed in Black Shag's epic Chicago House post that has been taken down because at least 40 music blogs had to move to a middle eastern contemporary jazz folk format out of fear of getting clowned again. Gary L. aka Gary Little, put out a few records in the late 80's to mid 90's. This one came outon Sensations Records out of Newark NJ in around 1987. This mix was done by the kings of Garage house: Timmy Regisford and Boyd Jarvis.

This next one is a funky house bootleg based on a 1979 track, I Zimbra by the Talking Heads. This cut came out on came out on Di Sisco Recordings sometime between then and now.

Gary L. - Time (Time To Party) (Timmy Regisford and Boyd Jarvis Mix)
Unknown Artist - Zimbra

Posted by Joel Brüt | 3 comments

Labels: , , , ,

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



3 comments: to “ Time to Party


  • June 24, 2010 at 8:55 PM  

    I think I might actually like this version of "I Zimbra" more than the original, which is really saying something - incredible cut! Thanks for this!


  • July 8, 2010 at 8:59 AM  

    Thats funny, I was about to say the complete opposite to the first comments posted, namely the 'I Zimbra' re-edit you posted is freakin' awful...normally if its something I don't like I keep quiet because I appreciate the time, effort and stages it takes to post a track; namely finding & buying the record, ripping it, uploading it, creating a post, writing about it and of course most important of all, finding an amusing image to go with it.
    So I always feel kinda mean and petty moaning about something, far better to comment on something I do like...BUT! obviously the gods are Talking Head fans and used me as a medium to counter-balance the clearly heretical statement "I might actually like this version of "I Zimbra" more than the original"....are you sure you are listening to the original Talking Heads version and not some god-awful UK proghouse white label from 1992 with the production values of a wax cylinder circa 1897?

    The best edit I have heard of 'I Zimbra' is by someone called 'Ceasar Gomez', no-idea who he is or where the edit is from but its pretty close to the original:

    http://www.mediafire.com/?t0eoegkgme5

    The best version of all of 'I Zimbra' is when you hear it live at a Talking Heads gig, nothing quite like it!


  • July 8, 2010 at 9:20 AM  

    I forgot to add...here is the original Talking Heads rare 12 Inch version of 'I Zimbra' for 'compare and contrast purposes ;)

    http://www.mediafire.com/?ie0zmhmmm2i

    I rest my case.