Saturday, February 26, 2011

Black Soul  


Black Soul was a disco group from Dakar Senegal on the West Coast of Africa. This cut comes from a 1977 record on Beam Junction Records out of New York. I love the whole LP. It is an early Tom Moulton mix which explains its fat disco stomp. Speaking of, my new phono stage doesn't have a lot of gain, so a lot of the tracks I have been posting are a bit quiet. How do I get more input gain than the slider gives me in Logic?

Black Soul - Africa Africa

Posted by Joel Brüt | 8 comments

Labels: , , ,

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



8 comments: to “ Black Soul


  • February 27, 2011 at 5:37 AM  

    I love this joint, thanks for sharing.

    I hate to ask, but is there a way to record this at a louder level?


  • February 27, 2011 at 11:38 AM  

    Great question! I guess you didn't read the text!


  • February 27, 2011 at 9:24 PM  

    I went right for the track and then forgot to check back...

    Arghh, I'm such a goof :)


  • February 27, 2011 at 9:41 PM  

    Great track. I run my most of my rips through logic & put it through the EQ, the compresser, & the limiter. Each track is different & there's no quick way to do it, but it can sure make some of the classics pop.


  • February 28, 2011 at 8:46 PM  

    I do all that that too, sans the limiter; and the levels look great. is something happening when I transfer it? Should I turn the normalize off?


  • March 1, 2011 at 10:10 AM  

    Yo, I think you can solve that problem with vcloud.com which will make it louder and you don't have to download anything or give out your email address or anything.


  • March 9, 2011 at 12:03 PM  

    I don't think it's good to rely on logic to increase the level as you're just increasing the noise on the recording too. Have you double checked the line in levels on the soundcard mixer? Do you have XLR out on your stage?


  • March 19, 2011 at 8:20 PM  

    There's a plug-in in the Utility section of your insert drop down called 'Gain'. That will have more than enough extra volume to get your recording up to speed. Obviously it's preferable to get a good signal from your preamp but some records just need a little boost!

    A gentle limiter is a good idea too, definitely worth experimenting with.